1.22.2011

Bye Bye Binky

We (I should say Olivia but I really think this was a commitment made, or forced in her case, by both or us) have been binky FREE since December 31. And since Olivia doesn't even blink at the word binky anymore (a month ago if you even said binky she had to have it) I thought I would share the pros & cons of taking the plunge.

Before I do that, I will be honest and share that I LOVED the binky. Don't get me wrong she wasn't allowed to have it when she was playing, talking, watching t.v and rarely in the store. But for those car trips (you know the ones), bedtime and those rare in-store tantrums.. I'm sure all you binky mommies understand why this was as hard for me as it was her.

PROS:
1. Sleep. Olivia does not wake up looking for her binky anymore (you know when they realize at some point that it fell out of their mouth and they need MOM to come find it), with that no longer in her way she sleeps peacefully all night long.

2. The panic that sets in when you can't find one of the hundred (ok ten) binky's you own and you're out and your child is starting to have a melt down because they want it.. now.

**Note: if I'm starting to make it sound like Olivia was a monster without it I'm exaggerating. These moments were more me than her. The binky, I'm not afraid to admit it, was a comfort object for me.

3. The whining that began around 6:30pm because she knew bedtime was approaching and she wanted her binky.. gone.

4. No more binky's everywhere. Yes, I know you know what I'm talking about. There's one on your nightstand, bathroom, kitchen, crib, diaper bag.. 

CONS:

1. Sleep Train. Remember when you had to teach your baby to fall asleep on their own in their crib? It's not quite that hard but we are relearning how to fall asleep sans binky.

2. You have to survive that first week of running errands without it.

3. It's sad. Taking away something they love is sad and hard.

4. You have to be aware that they will compensate with something. Most likely a finger. So far we have managed to ward that off.

So if you're thinking about taking the plunge I hope it will be as easy, if not easier, for you!

1 comment:

  1. We have been a week without the bottle and she doesn't even miss it. However She is SUPER attached to the binky. I'm going to give her probably till she's two but I'm scared to let that thing go!

    ReplyDelete