6.28.2010

What's for dinner??

I always find myself scrambling last minute trying to put together dinner. Usually I am so busy figuring out what Olivia's eating all day (2 meals + 3 snacks). Which has been more challenging lately since she has been only wanting fruit (her favs are blueberries! grapes! melon! strawberries!) and occasionally scrambled eggs. Tonight wasn't much different I had pulled out chicken in the morning but hadn't given what to do with it another thought. Lucky for me I got inspired and dinner turned out delish (gotta love that!)

Tomato Alfredo (w/ a twist)
* 1 lb pasta (I like bow tie)
*4-5 oz cream cheese (half a package)
* minced garlic (I eyeball a few tsp)
* 2 tbsp butter
* 1 can (14.5oz) diced or stewed tomatoes
* 1 cup Parmesan
Tonight I added:
* 1/4 medium onion, diced
* 1/2 cup sharp chedder cheese, shredded

1. Cook pasta (according to package) drain.
2. In sauce pan, melt butter, add garlic & onions. Saute until clear and soft.
3. Add tomatoes (I do this first because the tomatoes can boil and cook down). Cover and let heat until tomatoes have softened. Lower heat.
4. Add cream cheese. (I usually slice/cube it that way it melts easily) Keep stirring while it melts.
5. Once blended together add Parmesan (and chedder) stir until combined.
6. Pour over pasta. Toss!

Definitely a fav in our house (even with my picky eater!)



Baked Chicken w/ Tomatos & Spinach

This was somewhat of an improv version of a recipe I found. We enjoyed it - although I plan on tweaking a few more things for next time.

* 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
* 2 eggs
* bread crumbs
* olive oil
* 3 roma tomatoes, sliced
* baby spinach
* sliced mushrooms
* mozzarella cheese
* 1 cup white wine or chicken broth

1. Heat olive oil in skillet on high. Heat oven 350 degrees.
2. Dip each chicken breast in bread crumbs, then egg, then bread crumbs. Place in skillet cook 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove and place into (greased) baking dish. Do for each breast.
3. Place spinach, tomato slices, mushrooms over chicken breast. Top with mozzarella.
4. Pour wine/broth.
5. Bake for 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through and cheese is bubbly.

My notes: I think next time I'll add a little tomato sauce over the top for some extra flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment